Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bird spotting this morning.

An impromptu trip to drop my son off at school this morning resulted in a great bird watching opportunity. I love the early morning with the colors of the sun rising in the sky-especially when the day seeks to be warm and sunny. As I drove him to school we spotted a hawk sitting at the end of a vertically-oriented tree limb waiting to search for his morning breakfast. Finishing my trip to the High School, I tried to turn left by the line behind me was long and the traffic heavy so I turned right and opted for a longer trip home along the shoreline. The morning light was still growing spewing red and orange colors across the brightening sky. I love feel of the early morning, of a sunny and relatively warm, for February, day to come. On my way to the shore I saw a crow, and a gull perched on a street light. Along the shore I spied a Heron and a group of ducks- Mallards and a yet to be ID'ed black-headed one- floated in the water at a low point in the road close to the shore. The ice is breaking up in the marshes as we have been having a thaw-temps above freezing- for the last couple of days. Pulling into my driveway, then walking up the hill to get my newspaper for the day, I heard the vocalizing of songbirds- a sign of Spring? Its wonderful how a trip that started out as a nuisance could end up being inspirational. Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful descriptions... I wish I had more time to walk beach. Too many tasks get in the way. Thank you for inspiring us to take more time to observe the natural world.

    ReplyDelete