Saturday, June 25, 2011

What's that?


This spring my family kept sighting a critter we hadn't seen before. A large furry rodent, with a stumpy but fuzzy tail. I'd seen animals like this before in PA where I grew up but they had rodent-like tails. This creature had a fuzzy tail about 4 inches long.
Turns out it's a ground hog or woodchuck. Also known as a land beaver. Maybe he was out gloating about how he'd predicted an early spring in Punxsutawney? I've seen him a few times scurrying into the woods to go about his business.
I'm posting a picture I got off the internet of a Groundhog and a link to some more information on their habits.(http://wiki.ask.com/Groundhog). They are vegetarians and they dig burrows. I'll keep my eye out for the CT Groundhog and let you know of sightings.

No comments:

Post a Comment