Monday, March 2, 2009

Definitely NOT Spring

Well I wrote about seeing Robins and how this might be a harbinger of Spring...not quite. It's been snowing all day. We have about 6-7 inches by now I'd guess and it is still snowing. Things are being canceled: school, choir rehearsal. I've decided not to go out.... unless I do so to go cross county skiing. I haven't put the skis away yet from a few snows ago. I'll have to do it soon though as it will get colder and dark. Probably not.

This weekend I was surprised on the way home from downtown by the sight of a wild turkey "in flight." The turkeys are about the size of a medium breed dog so the fact that it got quite a bit of height was impressive. Seeing wild turkeys is one of my favorite things about where I live on the Shoreline. Being situated in a wooded area with nature preserve land near by we have a lot of wildlife roaming our neighborhood. The turkeys are so interesting. They travel in groups with a lookout bird watching as the rest of the group forages for food. Sometimes the males will display their feathers. They puff up to look like the familiar Thanksgiving Day picture of a turkey with it's tail feathers in a fan. In the spring your in its luck to come upon a brood of chicks (young turkeys) following their mother along the road. Only once have I come upon a turkey road kill, making me pretty sad since they are such interesting birds to watch. They are not very quick-you have to slow or stop to let them cross the road and it takes a while because they are in a group-and most always travel in a group. Well I hope they are hunkering down in this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment