Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Beach Flora

The "friends of the state park" organization at the park where I walk at have put up posters describing the birds, shells, flowers, shells. geology and so forth around the park. So I have started looking for the things displayed on the posters as I walk. This past visit it I looked for flowers. The poster on flowers alerted me to the fact that 2 types of roses existed at the shore. I was only looking for the rosa rugosa, which comes in pink and white, but there is also another rose, the virginia rose, which also inhabits the shoreline which is lighter pink. I found both types of roses on this walk. What makes these plants interesting all year long are the rose hips that


develop at the end of the season. Rose hips have been used as an herb and to make tea.

This is a close up or some rose hips from the rosa rugosa. The milkweek plants were in bloom this day. And, I located the beach pea along with queen anne's lace and a few other plants I've yet to ID.

Beach Pea
Lathyrus japonicus

• Family: Pea (Fabaceae)
• Habitat: sandy shores
• Height: 1-2 feet
• Flower size: 3/4 inch wide
• Flower color: pink to purple
• Flowering time: June to August
• Origin: native(http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/lathyrusjapo.html)



No comments:

Post a Comment